The Donner Party Challenge has existed in the slightly warped mind of Tim Boschert for a few years now. After some refinements and changes to the contest (no eating people) we have come up with what we think might be a lot of fun. This contest not only combines a level of experience in motor selection but of recovery techniques and build quality. Plus it's kind of exciting. Essentially, the contestant has to fly a rocket, recover the rocket (safely and intact), return the rocket and then enjoy a nice drink after their recovery. This is a timed event, but it really doesn't matter how fast you run or walk, there are way more factors that will determine your time than how quick you run.
WATCH THE BLOCKBUSTER INTRO VIDEO HERE!!!
- Sign in at the Contest Table and fill out the contest entry form. You will be provided with your can of sticky sweet gold (Yukon Launch) to fly in your rocket and the payload section will be sealed.
- Safely and succesfully launch your rocket with the provided energy drink (Yukon Launch).
- Prior to launch the rocket must be inspected by the RSO and adhere to all NAR and TRA safety rules. A G80 or greater is required (Das Rockets is providing a special discount on G80's for this event. See them at HellFire) Make sure to check your thrust to weight ratio, because the RSO will. You must be certified to fly the motor that you are flying.
- After launch, and once the Range is announced as open the timer will begin, the contestant must go and retrieve their rocket from the range, all the while the clock is ticking.
- The contestant should return their rocket directly to the the contest table for inspection. The rocket must be intact, the payload bay must not be opened. The energy drink MUST BE left intact in the rocket's payload bay.
- The contestant will then open the payload bay with the contest director as a witness. If the drink is intact, the contestant must open the can and drink the deliciousness that is "Yukon Launch" until it is gone.
- Once the drink is gone, the contest director will record the elapsed time since the range open announcement.
- At 4 PM on Saturday, whoever had the shortest time from "range open" to finishing their drink will be declared the winner
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st place only.
The fine print:
The can of "Launch" will fit in a payload bay of 14.5cm by 5.5cm
The payload bay will be sealed by the contest director. If it is open prior to returning it to the contest desk, the flight is disqualified.
Sponsored by Orion Offroad and Das Rocket